Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Volunteer Spotlight - Andrew


Name: Andrew

How long have you been volunteering here? About 6 or 7 months. Since around the beginning of April.

How did you end up volunteering here? I was recovering from an illness and I had a doctor who recommended it to me as something productive to do once a week. It makes me feel better and it's good for my health. I feel more on my feet and totally ready to get a real job now, so I'm thankful for that.

I graduated from Rutgers and went to medical school before I got sick. Now, being back here and working at the cafe, I'm feeling much better .

What's your favorite part of volunteering here?  I'm usually with a different volunteer every week so I get to meet new people all the time. It's nice to meet new people and also reconnect with old people I know. I mostly work the grill and with the sandwich press. They kind of found my niche, it works out well for me. I do everything out front, though: working with salads, soups, sandwiches, and greeting the customers. Some people here prefer to work in the back but I prefer to work in the front with the customers.

What's your favorite thing on the menu? The turkey sandwiches are really good. I just went on a cruise to the Bahamas and I don't want to say the food was bad, but I kept thinking to myself that the food here was much better.

Anything else you'd like to say? I feel a sense of community when I come here to Highland Park. The management is great in guiding me. I keep learning how to do everything better. I've even trained other volunteers.


People come for different reasons. Some people just get the complimentary and seem to appreciate having a free lunch, they're very thankful. I've noticed most people pay the suggested price, and more than half give more than they're asked to. I was very surprised by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment