Tuesday, January 31, 2012

VOLUNTEER SPOTLIGHT - Michael

VOLUNTEER SPOTLIGHT

Name: Michael

How long have you been volunteering here? Since May, so about six months.

Why Better World Cafe? How did you end up volunteering here? My mom goes to church here so she's familiar with what's going on in the church community. She told me that the Cafe had volunteer opportunities in exchange for meals. I came here to volunteer once, the meal was great, I enjoyed it, and they asked if I'd like to start coming in regularly. I said that'd be great. I've been here ever since, and I love it. And it's for a good cause and is doing something good for the community. I support Elijah's Promise, as well.

What's your favorite part of volunteering here? I like working with the people here, both the management and the customers. As someone with a mental illness, the management has been great about understanding my needs. That's really important to me. They're willing to take anyone and work with them. 
I also like having a routine in my week, which volunteering here gives me. 

What's your favorite thing on the menu? The Better World Salad is awesome. It's a staple and it's always good. I get it every time I come here and I'm satisfied completely. It's a meal in and of itself. The Indian and Mexican dishes we serve are also really good.

What's your passion? I like to read (I'm studying English and might add a second major in philosophy). I love thinking about the most important questions, and that's how I spend the majority of my waking hours. I want to be as honest with myself about those questions as I can.

Anything else you'd like to say? I enjoy getting to know other volunteers. It's been a real pleasure. Anyone I've really talked to here I've really liked. The cafe is a wonderful thing in this community especially for the opportunities it gives people to volunteer. You can use volunteering here as a job reference or a as great transition from not working to working.

No comments:

Post a Comment